1 characterized by unusual lightness and delicacy; "this smallest and most ethereal of birds"; "gossamer shading through his playing" [syn: ethereal]
2 so thin as to transmit light; "a hat with a diaphanous veil"; "filmy wings of a moth"; "gauzy clouds of dandelion down"; "gossamer cobwebs"; "sheer silk stockings"; "transparent chiffon"; "vaporous silks" [syn: diaphanous, filmy, gauzy, see-through, sheer, transparent, vaporous, cobwebby]
1 a gauze fabric with an extremely fine texture
2 filaments from a cobweb [syn: cobweb]
cobwebs floating in the air
- Hungarian: ökörnyál
- Finnish: hämähäkinseitti
a soft, sheer fabric
- Hungarian: fátyolszövet
anything delicate, light, flimsy
Gossamer can be:
- Common name for spider silk
- A very light, sheer, gauze-like fabric, see textile manufacturing terminology
- Gossamer A novel by Lois Lowry
- Gossamer, a 1995 short story by Stephen Baxter, found in his collection Vacuum Diagrams, and The Hard SF Renaissance anthology.
- Gossamer (Looney Tunes), a character in the Looney Tunes cartoons
- The Gossamer Condor and Gossamer Albatross, both human-powered aircraft
- The code name of the Apple Macintosh motherboards present in first-generation G3 Macs.
- The Gossamer Project or Gossamer Archive, a large X-Files fan fiction archive.
- Gossamer, an unreleased song by The Smashing Pumpkins
- The Gossamer Strand, an instrumental song by Deadsoul Tribe from the album A Lullaby for the Devil
- The gossamer rings of Jupiter
air, airy, animal fiber, artificial fiber, attenuate, attenuated, boyish, bubble, cambric tea, capillament, chaff, chip, cilium, cirrus, clear, clear as crystal, cobweb, cork, crystal, crystal-clear, crystalline, dainty, delicate, denier, diaphane, diaphanous, diluted, dishwater, down, downy, dust, ether, ethereal, fairy, feather, fiber, fibrilla, filament, filamentule, filmy, fine, fine-drawn, fine-grained, finespun, flagellum, flimsy, flue, fluff, fluffy, foam, frail, froth, fuzz, fuzzy, gauzy, girlish, gossamery, gracile, gruel, hair, hank, house of cards, insubstantial, lacy, light, light-pervious, limpid, lucid, matchwood, milk and water, misty, mote, nonopaque, papery, peekaboo, pellucid, pubescent, rare, rarefied, reed, refined, revealing, rope of sand, sand castle, satin, satiny, see-through, sheer, silky, skein, slender, slenderish, slight, slight-made, slim, slimmish, slinky, small, smooth, sponge, spume, strand, straw, subtle, suture, svelte, sylphlike, tendril, tenuous, thin, thin-bodied, thin-set, thin-spun, thinnish, thistledown, thread, threadlet, threadlike, transparent, transpicuous, unclouded, vague, velutinous, velvety, wasp-waisted, water, watered, watered-down, watery, weak, web, willowy, wiredrawn, wispy